#eachoneofwomanborn. #born in the NHS.
We ask that this manifesto for maternity be shared and discussed by all maternity and NHS campaigners. We welcome discussion.
A manifesto for mothers and babies in the NHS
- Increase the maternity tariff. The existing maternity tariff, the money the government allocates for each birth does not pay for sufficient midwives for safe births, let alone for happy births
- Bring back bursaries for midwives and nurses
- Make full maternity care available to all mothers, no exceptions
- Ditch the sweet talking Maternity Review. No personal budgets. No loss of beds. We want a fully funded NHS maternity system, not a choice of private providers.
- Respect women’s choices in labour. Listen to the mother.
- Home birth, midwife unit or hospital birth, they all need to be in in the NHS with NHS staff fully supervised and in the training loop.
- Make obstetric care available in our local hospitals. No four hour journeys for women in labour.
- No pressure to give birth at home. Home birth must be a free choice, with full hospital back up available
- Full NHS insurance for all NHS home births. No handing over responsibility. No home births on the cheap.
- Give women more time with their midwives. More midwives per mother.
- No cuts in maternity beds
- No woman to be left alone in labour
- Help women with breast feeding. Mums need support after birth too. Breast feeding is far too low in UK, yet women want to breast feed for their babies.
- Support mums in the early days with baby.
- Invest in the start of life
- Support maternal mental health
- Train more paediatric doctors and nurses.
- Research reasons for premature birth
- Improve pediatic intensive care
- Staff our labour wards so no forced emergency closures. Plan staffing 8 months in advance. It’s kinda natural
- Nationalise the private maternity companies taking NHS contracts
- Fund research into still births, and birth injuries
- Improve procedures for induction of labour
- Fully fund neo natal intensive care
- Recruit more midwives, nurses and doctors,neo natal intensive care nurses and related staff.
- Ditch the STPs and their cuts
- Keep all our EU staff and make them very welcome
- Fund improved ambulance services and train all staff including dispatchers around birth issues.
- Fight maternal and child poverty
For our babies, for our mothers, for our sisters, for our lovers